THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ARTISANAL FISHERIES 2022
Jinja - Uganda
Countdown to the conference
The International Conference on Artisanal Fisheries (ICAF)
The Conference Objectives
- To enhance awareness, understanding and actions to support the contribution and sustainable development of artisanal fisheries and aquaculture to food security and nutrition, poverty eradication and use of natural resources.
- To promote a platform for sharing blue innovations, research findings and their translation into practice, dialogue and collaboration among artisanal fishers, governments and other partners to further strengthen their capacity to enhance sustainability, social development and well-being
- To bring together a diverse range of practitioners, scientists, development partners and industry representatives working across different areas of the fisheries across the world.
- Reflect on Africa’ progress in achieving the SDGs and establishing new impetus to achieve sustainable fisheries
- To foster interactions with development partners, financing institutions and solution providers, and advocate the benefits of collaboration and support towards achieving sustainable artisanal fisheries development.
- To contribute to the continuing development and expansion of international, regional and national partnerships and associations, and establish where they do not exist
A political Opening Plenary: This will take place on the 2nd day of the conference. The conference will be officially opened by H.E the president of the Republic of Uganda.
Parallel sessions: This will comprise of oral paper presentations, panel discussions, an African ministers’ dialogue happening in the different conference halls
Exhibition: The exhibition will comprise of different value chain actors show casing their works and technologies. The exhibitors will pay for their space as a way of contributing to the conference logistics.
Technical tours and excursions: The conference will give an opportunity to interested participants to visit some of the successful works in artisanal fisheries in Uganda
Oral and Poster Paper Presentations, A call for oral and poster papers will be made amongst the fisheries practitioners, researchers/academia and the value chain actors across the globe.
Galler Dinner: At the Dinner the conference delegates will be treated to Ugandan cuisines and cultural entertainment
Media houses including radios, TVs and News Papers, online media shall be used to create publicity of the conference. Other medium of publicity will include posters, conference and partners websites and direct invitations
Register to sponsor
To make this event a success combined efforts from key sector players at local, regional and international level is primary. At local level, partners such as Lake Victoria Fisheries Organisation (LVFO), the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industrry and Fisheries (MAAIF) with its Directorate of Fisheries Resources (DiFR), National Fisheries Resource and Research Institute (NaFIRRI), Association of Fish and Land Users of Uganda (AFALU) , Federation of Fisheries Organizations Uganda (FFOU), Uganda Fish Processors and Exporters Association (UFPEA) Katosi Women, Makerere University-Department of Zoology and Entomology, The Fisheries Institute, Yalelo Uganda.